Mexican Truck Driver Arrested After Agents Find 1,002 Pounds of Cocaine Hidden in Trailer Floorboards

Photo U.S. Attorney's Office, Southern District of California

What looked like an ordinary shipment of construction materials turned into one of Southern California’s largest cocaine seizures of the year after federal officers discovered more than 1,000 pounds of the drug hidden beneath a commercial trailer’s floorboards.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of California says the flatbed trailer was carrying 269 bundles of rebar when it arrived at the Calexico Port of Entry on July 27. Beneath that cargo, investigators allegedly found 366 packages of cocaine with an estimated value of more than $20 million.

The truck’s driver and sole occupant, identified as 44-year-old Mexican national Jose Manuel Lopez Lopez of Mexicali, was arrested and charged with importing cocaine into the United States. Lopez pleaded not guilty during his July 28 arraignment.

Prosecutors described the seizure as “a tremendous amount of drugs, even by the standards of this district.” It was the second-largest cocaine seizure recorded in the Southern District of California during 2026.

An X-Ray Revealed Something Beneath the Trailer Floor

Customs and Border Protection officers were inspecting the commercial truck and attached flatbed trailer when an X-ray revealed anomalies in the wooden floorboards. A drug-sniffing dog was brought in and also alerted officers to the trailer.

Investigators then faced the substantial job of unloading all 269 bundles of rebar. Once the cargo was removed, officers unscrewed the wooden planks forming the trailer’s floor and allegedly found the space underneath packed with cocaine.

Federal officials recovered 366 packages weighing a combined 1,002.13 pounds, or 454.56 kilograms. Photos released by the Justice Department show the packages stacked on the exposed trailer after portions of the floor had been removed.

Customs and Border Protection conducted the initial inspection with assistance from Homeland Security Investigations and the Drug Enforcement Administration.

The Driver Said He Was Headed to Phoenix

A criminal complaint obtained by CBS 8 San Diego provides additional details about the trip and Lopez’s explanation to investigators.

Lopez reportedly said he picked up the truck and trailer from a lot used by his employer in Mexicali and was instructed to deliver the load to Phoenix, Arizona. He denied knowing that more than half a ton of cocaine had allegedly been concealed beneath the trailer floor.

The truck was carrying ordinary commercial equipment and a legitimate-looking shipment. Still, the cocaine was allegedly built into an area that would not have been visible without the X-ray, K-9 inspection, and removal of the cargo.

As FreightWaves noted in its coverage, commercial vehicles and routine cargo can be used to conceal valuable contraband beneath what otherwise appears to be an ordinary shipment.

Only a Cross-Border Tunnel Bust Was Larger

The Calexico seizure was surpassed only by a May investigation involving a sophisticated cross-border tunnel stretching from Tijuana to a retail property near the Otay Mesa Port of Entry.

Federal authorities recovered approximately 2,270 pounds of suspected cocaine worth an estimated $45 million in that case. The nearly 2,000-foot tunnel reached a depth of about 55 feet and reportedly included reinforced walls, electricity, ventilation and a rail system.

Investigators said the tunnel’s exit was hidden beneath the floor of a storage room inside a retail store and concealed by a hydraulic lift. Four men were arrested in connection with that investigation.

While the May case involved an elaborate underground passage, the Calexico seizure allegedly relied on a commercial trailer, a heavy load of construction material and a hidden space beneath the wooden floor.

Federal Charge Carries a 10-Year Mandatory Minimum

Lopez is charged with importing cocaine in violation of federal law. The charge carries a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years in prison and a maximum possible sentence of life if he is convicted.

The case is listed in federal court as 26-mj-08705 and is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorneys Paul Benjamin and Lawrence Casper.

The charges against Lopez are allegations. He has pleaded not guilty and is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty in court.

Leave a Comment

Flipboard