A Florida man is facing an attempted murder charge after investigators say he intentionally cut off another diver’s air supply during an argument over a popular lobster diving spot. The incident unfolded during Florida’s annual lobster mini-season in Biscayne Bay and has since drawn national attention.
According to NBC News, the Miami-Dade Sheriff’s Office said the confrontation happened around 5:30 a.m. on July 29 as a group of boaters prepared to dive for lobster. Investigators say another vessel approached at a high rate of speed before circling the victims’ anchored boat.
Authorities identified the suspect as 51-year-old Michael Joseph Simpson. Deputies say a verbal dispute broke out after people aboard Simpson’s boat claimed the victims were “in their spot.”
Investigators say Simpson threatened to shut off the diver’s air supply before swimming to the victim’s Brownie’s Third Lung air system and turning it off while the diver was underwater. Police say the incident was captured on video by people aboard the victim’s boat.
Deputies Say Diver Was Left Gasping for Air
Please give the following video just a second to load completely.
According to the arrest report, the victim was underwater when his air supply was cut off. The diver became tangled in both an air hose and an anchor line as the situation quickly turned into a life-threatening emergency.
The captain of the victim’s boat immediately jumped into the water and pulled the diver to safety. Deputies said the victim was gasping for air, appeared disoriented, and did not initially understand what had happened.
Investigators say Simpson returned to his boat and left the area before law enforcement arrived. After identifying him through witness statements and video evidence, authorities say Simpson voluntarily surrendered to police on Aug. 4.
Family Says Allegations Are “Categorically False”
Simpson has been charged with attempted felony murder and made his first court appearance after turning himself in. He later posted bond and briefly told reporters, “Please allow both sides to come out.”
In a statement released through a family spokesperson on USA Today, Simpson’s relatives denied doing anything wrong and insisted he “never came into contact with, or interfered with, anyone’s diving equipment.” They also claimed eyewitnesses aboard two separate boats were never interviewed before charges were filed and argued that video evidence does not show a crime being committed.
The family further say that the diver, whom they identified as an off-duty law enforcement officer, became entangled in his own diving hose and anchor line without Simpson ever approaching the equipment. They also said the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission interviewed Simpson on the water shortly after the incident and “cleared him minutes after the complaint.” The Miami-Dade Sheriff’s Office has not publicly responded to those claims, and the investigation remains active.
Simpson Previously Served on County Boating Safety Task Force
The allegations have drawn additional attention because Simpson previously served as a volunteer member of Miami-Dade County’s Boater Safety and Bay Education Task Force. According to the Miami-Dade Mayor’s Office, the temporary advisory group was created in 2025 to recommend ways to improve boating safety before completing its work in May 2026.
County officials said the conduct written in the arrest is contrary to the mission of the task force. They also reiterated their commitment to promoting safe and responsible boating throughout Biscayne Bay.
Authorities say the investigation is ongoing and additional arrests are possible. As with all criminal cases, the allegations against Simpson remain accusations, and he is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty in court.
