Florida Man With Sword Causes Woman to Call SWAT Team to Her Home

SWAT comes for sword-wielding Florida man
Image Credit: CCSB Action News & Community Alerts/Facebook

Everyone’s favorite suspect “Florida man” strikes again! This time, WTSP reports that deputies were called to a Floral City home after receiving a call about a man who was behaving violently and erratically. When they arrived, they found a woman who says that 35-year-old Joshua Batchelor had threatened to kill her.

His weapon of choice? A sword and a baseball bat, both of which he wielded at her while threatening her life. The victim told deputies that Batchelor was also high at the time, claiming that she had witnessed him smoking methamphetamine right before he became violent. 

The circumstances necessitated a call for backup, and deputies were soon joined by the Sheriff’s Office SWAT team and crisis negotiators. Law enforcement officials were later able to safely end the altercation, taking Batchelor into custody without incident.

Now, the story is going viral locally thanks to the fact that the suspect is well-known within the community. 

The Incident Happened Aug. 13, 2026

Local NBC News station News Channel 8 reported that deputies responded to the call around 2 p.m. last Thursday. When officers arrived, the victim explained how Batchelor had threatened her with the weapons before ultimately throwing the sword at her. 

Deputies peered into the house through a window and spotted Batchelor pacing while holding an object. 

Law Enforcement Worked to Keep the Victim Safe

According to the Tampa Free Press, the presence of the unidentified weapon (it sounds like they couldn’t determine if it was the sword or the bat) and the victim necessitated some additional efforts, and SWAT secured the perimeter of the property in an effort to keep her, her neighbors, and the officers as safe as possible. 

Fortunately, they were able to talk Batchelor into surrendering without incident, and he was taken into custody and charged with Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon.

“This incident is a clear example of how our specialized teams, patrol deputies, and negotiators work together to bring dangerous situations to a safe resolution,” Sheriff David Vincent told News Channel 8. “Their professionalism and teamwork ensured no one else was harmed during a volatile and unpredictable encounter.”

“Florida Man” Continues to Live up to His Legacy

CCSB Action News & Community Alerts posted a mug shot of the suspect along with a story about the case, prompting some pretty scathing responses online. And while many people focused on his appearance—very few people can believe that the suspect is just 35—many more people shared stories about their previous encounters with the man.

“I was in county jail with him back in February,” one person wrote in part, claiming Batchelor had been sent to confinement after trying to “spear” people with a mop handle. 

Another person was shocked to see a familiar face in the photo. “Oh my God, I’m so glad they arrested this guy,” another man wrote. “He’s been hanging out at the laundromat almost every night when I go to close!”

It’s clear the suspect’s reputation has preceded him. Hopefully, this is a sign he’s become enough of a local legend that he can access some help before ending up in a situation like this again.

Leave a Comment

Flipboard