A motorist who falsely claimed his electric car had suffered a catastrophic brake failure during a 38-mile motorway journey has been jailed after an investigation revealed the vehicle had been working normally.
Nathan Owen, 33, was sentenced to four years and three months in prison at Liverpool Crown Court after admitting dangerous driving and two counts of fraud. The incident unfolded on March 6, 2024, when Owen called 999 claiming his Jaguar I-Pace was accelerating uncontrollably and that he had lost the ability to brake.
Believing they were responding to a genuine emergency, police launched a major operation as Owen drove for around 35 minutes across the M58, M57 and M62 (three separate highways surrounding the Merseyside, Lancashire and the Northwest England region) at speeds of up to 86mph.
During the incident, his vehicle collided with a police car 31 times before eventually coming to a stop near Junction 12 of the M62 after its battery became depleted.
Investigation Revealed Jaguar Was Working Properly

A detailed investigation involving Merseyside Police and Jaguar Land Rover later found there had been no mechanical fault with the vehicle.
Vehicle data showed the Jaguar I-Pace was operating normally throughout the incident and investigators found Owen had not applied the brakes at any point. Prosecutors also told the court the vehicle was stationary when he made the initial 999 call claiming it was out of control.
The investigation concluded the highway incident had been staged rather than caused by a vehicle malfunction.
Financial Problems Behind Elaborate Hoax
The Guardian reported that court heard Owen had been experiencing financial difficulties before the incident.
The court heard Owen had around £5,000 remaining on his vehicle finance agreement and had unsuccessfully applied for a loan shortly before contacting emergency services. Around 40 minutes after the motorway incident ended, he contacted his finance company.
The court also heard Owen later received £300 from The Sun and £500 from the Daily Mail after selling his account of the incident.
Judge Condemns Deception as Police and Jaguar Count Cost
Sentencing Owen, Judge Ian Unsworth KC said his actions triggered a significant police operation, caused widespread alarm and disrupted other road users, while officers placed themselves in danger because they believed they were dealing with a genuine emergency.
It was reported that Jaguar Land Rover said the false allegations resulted in “180 adverse media reports,” prompting the company to spend an additional £50 million on marketing to counter the negative publicity.
Detective Constable Michael Doyle said the investigation showed Owen remained in control of the vehicle throughout the incident and had put road workers, officers and other motorists at risk.
Owen was also banned from driving for five years, with the disqualification taking effect after his release from prison.
